The recent death of Raoul Vaneigem, at the age of 92, must give all of us pause for thought.
To be honest, I’d never heard of the man until I saw his
obituary in the Times. His chief claim to fame was to have written a
manifesto in 1967 called The Revolution of Everyday Life, which was an
inspiration to the student uprising that closed down universities in Paris and
elsewhere in May 1968.
The literal translation of this little book of
aphorisms—sort of like Mao’s “little red book,” also popular at the time—would
be The How-to-Live Handbook for the Young. Whatever wisdom this book may
contain, I’m probably too old to benefit from it. But I requested a copy from
the library, and I also requested another of Vaneigem’s many subsequent books: A
Cavalier History of Surrealism.
Meanwhile, I fetched from my basement stacks a slightly musty paperback copy of The Spirit of May by J.-J. Servan-Schreiber (marked ‘25 cents’ in pencil on the front fly) and also the hardcover volume right next to it, The Taxis of the Marne, by Jean Dutourd (one dollar).
Perhaps you see the connection. The taxis Dutourd refers to were used to transport soldiers to the front lines in the exuberant early days of World War One.
I had originally planned—that is to say, thirty years ago—to include a third volume in a study of the vicissitudes of the modern French state: Strange Defeat by Marc Bloc. That essay never got written. None of those books got read. I can’t find the third one. Is it still around somewhere? (Who cares?) Anyway, if you're familiar with the books, you can connect the dots.Perhaps I was intuitively following the path set out by Vaneigem:
down with capitalism, screw the state, abandon the quest for wealth and glory
and enjoy yourself, your friends, your community.
In one line quoted in the Times obit, Vaneigem asks: “Who
wants a world in which the guarantee that we shall not die of starvation
entails the risk of dying of boredom?”
I guess this is where surrealism comes in.
Vaneigem’s name came up during a breakfast conversation I had recently with a friend of mine at the Buttered Tin. We also talked about Agora, the classic film set in ancient Alexandria in the months before its famous library burned down. Jeff had recently had breakfast with a mutual friend, the documentary filmmaker and poet Mike Hazard. Jeff did the sound production for several of Mike’s films.
I’ve heard it said more than once that “everyone knows Mike.”
It might almost be true. I worked with Mike briefly on a book of poems by the
late Roy McBride, but I’ve run into him here and there at other times. He once
came up to me at a book convention covering his face with three pieces of “poetry
on a stick.”
There’s a touch of zaniness, color, freedom, and “Why not?” in much of Mike’s work, and his films often focus on other masters of this poetic domain.
It was a beautiful morning, and when I got back home from
breakfast, Hilary and I decided to pay a visit to the Andersen Library on the
West Bank, which is hosting an exhibit of Mike’s work.
We came prepared with a telephone number. The building is locked: you have to call someone to come to the door and let you in. This may explain why there was no one in the galleries but us. The exhibit spaces are small but elegant, almost lavish. Several Plexiglas kiosks contained samples of postcards, flyers, chapbooks, and photographs that either depict Mike’s work in arts education or are the result of it.
You can view quite a few of Mike's works, including videos, here.
A second room, beyond the main gallery, has been given the
look of a gentleman’s club: antique globes, finely unholstered wing-back chairs,
stained glass windows, and maybe even a replica of a bust by Houdon. It
reminded me of the rare books room on the fourth floor of Wilson Library and
the book-collecting legacy of James Ford Bell and the library’s namesake, Governor
Elmer Andersen, both of whom employed book scouts for years to explore antiquarian
collections in London and the Continent in search of rare volumes.
It made for an interesting contrast—aristocratic digs and exuberant ephemera. I love them both. I have enough books in the house to satisfy almost any pang of curiosity, but I also have a cheap metal pin stuck into the window-frame behind my desk that says “Demolish Serious Culture.” I picked it up years ago at the Walker Art Center’s extensive Fluxus show dedicated to the work of Joseph Boyce and the German avant garde.
Some of that stuff is playful, some of it is pretty angry,
or grim. By way of contrast, here’s a poem by Mike, reprinted in the little handout on a table near
the door.
Namesake
Pounding a black gavel
Engraved with a nickname HAP,
The handle of a grandfather I never met
for real,
And my last name, HAZARD—
My heart pounds.
It was time for lunch, and we decided to cross the bridge on the freeway to Dinkytown to find a place to eat. I don’t need to tell you that the neighborhood has changed since 1978, the last year I tended parking lots for the U of M. I don’t need to list the used bookstores, hamburger joints, bakeries, guitar shops, and Italian restaurants that have vanished either.
We had a perfectly decent lunch at a Vietnamese café called Pho Mai that seems to be an offshoot of a more elegant restaurant in Brooklyn Park. To be honest, it was better than the tendon we used to get at the Tokyo cafe years ago. But the street is entirely different. Perrines is gone. Annie’s Parlor is gone. Gray’s Drug is gone. The Loring Café is gone. (Wasn’t I going to skip that part?)
Around the corner, the upstairs incarnation of the Bookhouse is still there and still packed with used books. Yet in this case, I find that my interest is gone. You can tell at a glance that most of the books are rattier than the ones we have at home. The poetry section is especially bad. The books are too skinny, dust jackets gone, you can’t read the titles on the bindings. All is lost. They might as well chuck the whole section into the Mississippi.
As I was passing the front desk I heard a young man on the telephone: “Books from that era are usually so ragged that they aren’t worth anything. Old is not necessarily good.” I was impressed: he’d heard it all before, but by the tone of his voice I could tell he was being good-natured about it.








No comments:
Post a Comment